Saturday, October 18, 2014

Brain Glitches and Dyslexia Exercises

re posting from CountingGiftsofGrace

As a homeschooling mother the hardest aspect has been working with learning stops. Complete stops in progress. Walls we hit with hard days needing to repeat everything we did the day, week before.

Working with a child with Auditory processing and dyslexia has stopped the flow of our school routine many times. With two of my students with this learning block, I have been trying to find exercises and activities to add to our routine  to help awaken the brain for each day of school and days off. I do preface with my kids that this special time is therapy, not our normal curriculum, which has to be done as well. Not always easy to add to an already challenging school load. 

I came across a book  Brain Integration Therapy Manual by Dianne Craft with brain exercises to awaken the brain and speed up the interaction between the two sides of the brain. I have started working with these ideas and suggestions. I am very excited to have exercises to start up the brain and get moving at the beginning of our days.

I came across these videos which summarize much of the need for the exercises and how to in the book.
Part 1


Part 2


Part 3



Part 4



I am adding some worksheets to awaken their brain along with the exercises.

We are adding fish oil supplements and encouraging them to drink more water.

We also enjoy brain games on the iPad especially.  Lumosity.

2 comments:

  1. I have forgotten what gave me the very first feeling of affinity to you and your blog. Now, I remember. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very kind. Thank you & Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete